"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Summer Thinkings

You know my due date is tomorrow.  Arwen was born on the birthday of my husband's grandmother.  Arwen was named for her.  (She had died before I was able to meet her, right before my husband began college).  Today is not only the Solemnity of the Nativity of John the Baptist, it is also the anniversary of her death.  My mother-in-law told me back in November that I would have the baby today.  She said she "knew" it as soon as she heard when my due date was.  Let's see if she's right--I wouldn't doubt it; combining mother and daughter's intercessory prayers--I wouldn't doubt it at all!  (And I wouldn't be at all unhappy with a delivery today!)

From the garden:


Arwen took these pictures of our flowers.  I keep asking her to get pictures of our mulch/grass project out back.  I guess it's not as fun to photograph.  Of course, I do know how to snap a picture with a camera myself...but that would entail getting off of the couch, walking, and carrying a camera.  I'm thinking that's too much effort at this point.


Nesting: I re-packed my suitcase yesterday.  I realized I'm missing a LONG LIST of essentials for our new baby!  Socks, mittened onesies (my kids always scratch their faces with their baby nails), baby shampoo, lotion, diaper cream.  What have I been doing for 9 months?!!!  




Truth:  I pretend that I don't leave the couch.  That's just wishful thinking.  Yesterday was full of appointments and swimming lessons.  We have spent $500.00 at the dermatologist this summer (ouch!) Poor Galadriel is fighting a nasty contagious skin virus.  Luckily it's not *that* contagious.  I think we're mostly escaping contagium.  Between her ear and skin issues, she's been a little trooper this summer.


I keep failing to get dinner ready in time for the baseball players to eat before their games!  Part of the problem is that my husband coaches and has to get there well before game time.  I am always caught off guard with dinner ready at 5:15--just as they are heading out the door.  #latedinners, #microwavedinners.


Gimli's team is undefeated so far this season.  They were undefeated last year.  They had a winning record the first year my husband coached too.  But tournament week?  Out first round, both years.  There's some serious game-planning going on around here.  My men folk are determined to win at least ONE of the tournament games.


And my in-laws are threatening to come for tournament week.  This is fine by me (I'm happy to show off a new baby!) but it adds pressure to my husband to have his dad watching.  Isn't that cute?:)  

I'm out of time.  Here are some pictures of my current "baby" to finish up the post...you might not see so much of her for a while. :)  


The best part of summer is keeping ALL messes outdoors!


(Still loving the bangs her brother gave her--rrrrr.)




No comments:

Post a Comment