"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Summer Continues

Outside my window: it's darker this morning.  It has been so beautiful, but humid, and I'm hoping the cooler weather will be better for my swelling.

My window box is starting to grow again--pictures soon!  Eowyn is my watering "helper" this summer--the flowers are doing wonderfully!  Eowyn can't get enough of the hose!


I am listening to: footsteps on the stairs as people trickle down from upstairs.  Quiet voices.  Bilbo making me coffee...you know I'm wearing thin if I'm not making my own coffee in the morning!  So, yes: no baby last night.



Thankful: My sweet, generous mom took three of my sisters' kids swimming at the local pool yesterday and Bilbo rode his bike over to join them.  Then she picked up two of my kids from baseball/softball so I wouldn't have to load up the little kids after bedtime to get the players.  As a result, I was able to get my little ones down by 7!  (That is record-breaking these days.)  AND she drove to the train station at 9:40pm to get Arwen and her urbane "Uncle Father" (my ordained brother) who had gone to Chicago for the day and taken a delighted 14-year-old in tow.


Education at its best: My brother has contacts for the work he does in Chicago and he always makes a trip to the windy city when he comes home.  This year, after joining her uncle for a "business lunch", Arwen was able to visit the art museum and go on an architectural boat tour of the downtown.


My brother is taking Arwen's education and rounding it out in a way that I absolutely never ever could (at this point in my life, with her 7 siblings in tow).  This summer they also have gone to the symphony and to a baroque chamber performance in an old church.  These types of cultural events are so much harder for me to give my children.  So, as I said: thankful!



Counting Blessings:  For a final summer with my dear sister and her 4 children before they move back out of state.  For afternoons chatting on porch couches watching the kids have splash contests in the big blow-up pool in the front yard.

For encouraging e-mails from friends near and far, letting me know they are praying for me.

For a sweet sister who dropped off several rounds of baby clothes (and lunch), dinner, and special "extras" for an overdue Mama.

For another sister (yes, I have three!) who texted me that she offered her Mass for me on my due date.

For another day of math work before the baby comes (which I am convinced will sabotage all such efforts).

For Galadriel's upcoming camping over-night with her cousin and their girls' club.

Prayer intentions: of course, for a safe (and hopefully SOON!) delivery

For Galadriel's ear.  We're on a new antibiotic.  She should be clear to swim by next Saturday.  Last year's surgery is crimping her style this summer too.  I'm hoping that this most recent infection/loss of ear tube/antibiotics will render her ear pain free from here on out!  With good plugs, she should be able to swim again on Saturday.

---
Let's see if this will be my last post until the baby comes! (Don't hold your breath--just say a prayer!:))

No comments:

Post a Comment