"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Our Loss is Heaven's Gain

This morning I went in for an ultrasound.  There wasn't even sign of implantation, so our little baby most likely didn't even make it that far.  But the positive pregnancy test means that there was indeed a little baby with us for a short space of time.

We've named the baby for St. Philomena, our special patroness, and for the Blessed Mother.

[2119000219_794758f4a3.jpg]

There are so many beautiful consolations when you believe what the Church teaches on the gift of life.  For one, my baby had an immortal soul, and that means that my baby is alive and waiting for us in heaven.  My little one is a powerful intercessor for our family and some day we will be able to meet one another, embrace--yes, even physically, for the first time after the resurrection of the dead-- and spend eternity together forever.  It's mind-blowing, really.

When you think of how short life is--anyone's life--it's a pretty fantastic trade-off: gaining an eternity of joy for existing just a moment on earth.

If you would be so generous as to continue to keep me in your prayers, they are still monitoring to make sure there isn't a hidden ectopic pregnancy.  And I still have a ways to go before my physical healing will be complete.  Just prayers for health and safety.  Thank you so much!!

"Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, and each of us is necessary."

---Pope Francis, Laudato Si

1 comment:

  1. As you know, my heart breaks for you and your loss. You are so right, the whole situation is mind - blowing! The immortality of the soul is a fascinating concept. And, as hard as it is to accept God's will, you will get through this. I am confident that our little ones have found each other and are now looking down at us. As the days press on, I'm sure they'll find many reasons to laugh at us together. Keep praying and God will grant you peace. Love you, sister! :)

    ReplyDelete