"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Novena Blessing

August 11th was the feast of St. Philomena and St. Clare.  I didn't realize they shared a feast day until this year.  I've always loved both of these beautiful saints.  This year I was able to celebrate the second feast day of my little Eowyn, for whom St. Clare is one of her patrons.

I had two intentions coming upon the feast of St. Philomena.   I began a novena 9 days before the 11th.  One of my intentions was for God's will for our family in regards to having more children.  I mentioned in my last post that this is far and away the longest spacing we've ever had.  It might have something to do with the "nursing relationship" I have with my 21 month old.:)

My husband and I certainly have our work cut out for us each day.  It's not like I "needed" to add to the numbers...but of course, it's never been about the numbers.

I wanted my heart to be open to His will for our family, for my husband and I in our vocation of living out our marriage in service to Him, even as I was grateful for the much needed spacing we had received.

And it does cross one's mind after almost 15 years of marriage...that the years of fertility are not indefinite.  And souls created for eternity...are eternal.

I asked for another blessing, if it was in God's plan for our family.

The day after I finished my novena I took a pregnancy test.

I really didn't need to take the test, but it seemed like the thing to do: to confirm the blessing was really there.

And it was.

I'm so thankful.



St. Philomena, Powerful with God, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment