"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

About that time again...

A couple of days ago we saw some summer storm showers.  (The ones we walked the dog in).

Late that afternoon, when we were all cooped up inside, I got out the water colors for the littles.

not quite new now:)

All fresh and new from our school supplies that are stocked up and waiting for the new school year.

oops- it's sideways
After dinner, we were preparing to say our family prayers and it just seemed like the right night for something warm and sweet.  
funny how many cups we need when we're all joining in!



chai for the kids, mocha for me:)
 Outside, the builders had covered everything in plastic to keep it dry.


I know you're jealous of my backyard!
It was all so cozy, and the paint was such a pretty splash of color on the otherwise dreary day, it reminded me of the school year.

My sister said she gets out the paints all the time (during the summer).  But I really find that I don't.   And it's after about this much time that I discover that we all miss it!  The paint, the coziness, the time together.

It reminded me of a post I wrote a long while back...it's long, but still holds so very true: I love home schooling!

I wrote:

"Then there are my two boys, 18-months apart.  All they do is play sports, usually together, usually outside.  This is, again, a bit of a dream for a very busy mother with a toddler, a baby and a big house to run.  But over the course of the summer I begin to sort of miss my boys.  I feed them, kick them outside when they're rowdy in the house, and tuck them in bed at night.  They don't hang out and chat like my oldest might...so...I notice days going by without having spent much one-on-one time with my buddies.  School days find me pulled up next to my boys, pointing to their books and painstakingly working through their syllabi, rubbing their crew cuts and thumping their strong backs.  I explain things, I cheer them on. Oh! And one of my favorite things is being that "womanly influence" that is just so very needed by all men! You know, the mom who makes her boys learn poetry or sing a song...or knit.  Something a "guy" doesn't necessarily launch into on his own, yet which he enjoys in spite of himself, and which begins the life-long process of refinement and civilizing that some day his wife (or maybe the Holy Spirit, if he has a vocation to the religious life) can perfect!  Having them at home, by my side, during the long school hours helps me keep a close relationship with my sons in a way that I'm not sure would be otherwise possible."

read the rest if you like:

http://ahandfulaheartfull.blogspot.com/2012/09/school-days.html

No comments:

Post a Comment