"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Along those lines...


Following upon the last post I wrote, I have a friend who shared a beautiful reflection of her own on mothering and home schooling her 6 darling children (I may be partial to a certain Goddaughter who plays a key role in the post).

I think it's worth sharing the mindset of those of us who strive to live and love this life.  So many people ask us "How do you do it?" I think that my answer is that I simply cannot imagine doing it another way.  Not without a deep sense of loss.  Loss of time with my children, loss of relationship, loss of those moments of love and joy that burst forth from the muddy kitchen floors and piles of dishes and laundry.

Christine shares:

I'm not talking about the families who absolutely cannot make it on one income because the one income is on the low end.  I'm talking about the families who choose to have two incomes because they want a big house, new cars and fancy vacations every year--people who choose possessions over their own kids.  I wish that they could lead my life for a week and see how fulfilling it is. 

With 6 kids, there is always a lot of work to do.  My life is full of work.  Endless diapers, laundry, dishes, meal prep, etc.  But aside from all of the work, there is never a shortage of love.  Endless hugs, smiles and laughter.  Sure, we have our share of fighting and tears.  But there's way more joy and love. 


read the rest here.

It's always seems to be the work that gets parents.  Or the cost, I suppose.  Or the chaos.  Ok, I actually totally UNDERSTAND the desire for peace, order, tranquility, for nice things...for sanity (for heaven's sakes!).

But while all of us admit that there is plenty of the messy and LOUD and tired and whiney...please don't think there's never a moment's calm.  Never cleanliness, never peace.  It comes between the messes after a bunch of work.

BUT...

You know what's clean, calm, quiet and prisitne?  My in-laws house.  And you know what? They're lonely! They love us to come and hate us to go.  You know why? Because along with our mess, and food costs, and chaos and crying, comes our LIFE: the laughter, the antics, all of the exuberance of our busy/crazy/darling/fun children.

I sometimes have wondered why they aren't relieved to see us go.  I often think that I would be relieved to see us go!  But that's why.  And it's true--I love this life.

PS--you know it's not about the numbers, right?

I know this post is too long already, but I absolutely must add what I thought was one of the best parts of Heidi's post.

She writes:

Perhaps His plan is to give you more children than you’ve got now. Maybe it’s nine more. Maybe it’s none. Maybe it’s His will for you to suffer a childless marriage. Maybe it’s adoption. Or the pain of an emergency hysterectomy. Again, it’s never been about the numbers. It’s about creating a small quiet, open space in your heart—just for Him—to quietly whisper to you what His plan is for your fertility.

It's never been about the numbers.


1 comment:

  1. How funny that we've been thinking alike the past few days! I totally agree with everything you've said here. Life without the chaos would be so boring. I can't even begin to count how many times people have told me how they wished they'd had more kids or spent more quality time with the ones they had. You and I are truly blessed to have big families. We just need to get our heads out of the dishwasher sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete