"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Friendship: A Summer Surprise

Ever since Reina joined our family, I've been taking much more frequent walks down the road and around a corner up to the next street and back.


On this path is a sweet yellow house with a wicker heart next to the front door.  There is a little garden near the mailbox by the driveway, and upon one occasion, a little old lady was seated on a lawn chair near her flowers.  "What pretty flowers,"  I commented.  "My daughter planted them for me, " the little old lady replied.  "They're beautiful," I said.  "She's a wonderful daughter," she said as I walked past.  

Since that day I've made sure to wave and comment on the weather as I past by, if that nice woman was out.  Once she was hobbling in, perhaps with some groceries, and I was a little concerned that the wind might blow her over!  She has a bad foot, I discovered later.

Last week she was out with the daughter she had mentioned, working in the garden.  Her big old golden retriever was also out and he saw us coming from a distance.  With a friendly "rolf" he lumbered over to say hello.  

"No, Riley! Bad dog!" Shouted the daughter. "It's alright, I don't mind. It's good for Reina to meet new dogs," I replied.  "Riley doesn't get exercised like he needs to," she explained.  Of course.  The little old lady, the foot in a slipper.


"I have some children who would love to walk him," I offered.  "He would love that.  My Mom would be so grateful," replied the daughter.

And so, a sweet relationship has begun.  My children love big, sweet, obese old Riley (I hope our walks will help with that).  And I am happy to have an opportunity to chat with his owner.

Today I learned that she has lived in that house for 44 years.  She has 16 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.  

Come to think of it, she doesn't look so old.  The longer I spoke to her the younger she seemed.  Her mind is perfectly sharp.  She took a girlscout troop to England and bought waterford crystal there!!  This is a woman worth getting to know! 

I am very happy for the development of this summer friendship. 

I look forward to its development over the seasons ahead.


It rained on us (you can see Riley was wet in the pictures above) as we started our walk, but the summer shower was quick to pass.  The setting sun was dazzling on our way home.


Eowyn was a trooper and she walked the whole way herself.


Legolas stopped to collect mud from a puddle.

I am happy for my children to learn the lesson of reaching out in friendship and discovering that old people can be wonderful friends.  I am happy for them to have a little act of love and service to perform for a lovely neighbor.  I am so grateful for this gift to our family--and it was just beyond our front door all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment