"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Boys are Too Easy! (a post from my drafts)

Bilbo had his party at the park yesterday.

Birthday parties are funny.  They can be a TON of work.  I've only been back in the State for a week and a day.  I am also 30 weeks pregnant!  A "ton of work" was not in the cards for me or this party.

Here's what I did: I made 4 dozen cupcakes and frosted them.  That's honestly just about it.

I bought some take-home bags and filled a pinata with candy.  I put one or two things in the take-home bags as favors, and counted on the pinata to fill the bags to a respectable and satisfying take-home for the boys.

I brought water and boxes of ice cream sandwiches.  I wouldn't have done the ice cream sandwiches but they were a special request of the birthday boy, and I didn't have to "work" for them.

The boys arrived and played soccer for about an hour.  Then they had water and at some point broke open the pinata, ate cupcakes and opened presents.  Then they ran relay races (I was sure someone was going to get sick running after eating cupcakes!)

That's it!  At this point in my life (being pregnant) I couldn't imagine doing anything but sitting in the shade drinking beverages.  But my boys seemed to deem this a great party and a lot of fun.

When I compare this to the craft-intensive, planned-party-game intensive, home-based-with-lunch-provided parties I've hosted in the past, I wonder why I would ever do anything else?!

Cake, candy, and a park:  boys really are too easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment