"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

I think we just started our school year

Amid the walls vibrating with electric saws and hammering...

my children begged me to let them begin their school year.  I pulled out the Bibles; my plan was to begin with Scripture study each day, but in my new, "unschooly" way, using our "commonplace book" method.  I told them they could read, copy out passages, illumine the passages like the monks of old...and they had a 30 minute block for this.



Aragorn - age 12
I did make some suggestions to the middle aged ones.  Galadriel asked me to help her find a nice psalm.  If you look closely, you will notice there are mistakes in some of the copying efforts, but that's part of the lesson--I'll gently point out those little errors and help them correct them.


Galadriel - 4th grade

Legolas- "3K"

 We can sneak an "o" in there--right? ;)  ("Copy carefully!")
Bilbo - age 7

I'm going to admit--the builder's radio set to the Country Rock station didn't assist the ambiance of the morning.  I'm actively praying for the interior work to be finished this week!  But oh with what joyous anticipation we are all awaiting our new space for learning and working!


dry wall!

panorama
St. Joseph the builder, pray for us!  St. Philomena, patron of students, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment