"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

September Feasts: The Seven Sorrows of Mary and the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

We've just passed by some beautiful feast days, and if you've been too busy to notice, or to celebrate, you can do what I do: celebrate them all together in a sort of "weekly" celebration!

The 12th was the Holy Name of Mary.  Then came the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.  Appropriately, after contemplating the victory that Christ won through his sufferings, we turn our thoughts to those of his Mother.

Do you know about the devotion to the Seven Sorrows of Mary?

The Seven Sorrows Devotion

Here's a link to a full page explanation of the devotion.

http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix1.htm

Check out these graces attached to the devotion!

HERE ARE THE SEVEN GRACES:
  1. I will grant peace to their families.
  2. They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
  3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
  4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
  5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
  6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
  7. I have obtained from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.

However, promises aside, the contemplation of Mary's sufferings throughout the life of her Son are such beautiful and rich sources for meditation.

So, what are the 7 Sorrows?

  1. The prophecy of Simeon. (St. Luke 2:34, 35)
  2. The flight into Egypt. (St. Matthew 2:13, 14)
  3. The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple. (St. Luke 2: 43-45)
  4. The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross.
  5. The Crucifixion.
  6. The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross.
  7. The burial of Jesus.

(The link takes you to the page with meditations for each sorrow.)  

To pray the 7 Sorrows, you simply announce the sorrow, and pray the Hail Mary while contemplating the suffering.  Simple! It helps if you can do this at a set time, like, in the car as soon as you leave from Mass, or right at the end of supper.  If it becomes a routine, you won't forget!  

Yesterday, I pulled out some art supplies and had the kids work on a couple of simple crafts.  Here's a peek (I hung these in the window of my kitchen, so the lighting is pretty bad in the pictures).

We simply water colored seven hearts to represent each sorrow.



 And these are the "stained glass" crosses from the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.  Just waxed paper on the back of construction paper, with glue-sticked-on pieces of colored construction paper.





Link up or leave a comment if you have a craft to share!  Happy September!


1 comment:

  1. Way to go on the crafts and feast day celebrations! I'm barely getting dinner made these days, so I won't be able to share ideas with you. Well, unless you're interested in crock pot recipes. We've had soup every night this week. Today, Rusty asked me if we were having soup again tonight. When I said yes, he asked me why we're on a liquid diet. I had to laugh! Things are rough around here right now!

    ReplyDelete