"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Back-to-School: a mini-Daybook (because I'm short on time, but impatient when it comes to posting!)


Outside my window:  Siding is being sawed and hammered into place on the final wall of the school room.  Rosie is giggling with a rolling laughter, running barefoot with a (plastic) sword.  I'm not sure what the game is, but it's nice to hear.


I am thinking: That I have got to be positive and hopeful about our home school year, despite the difficulties of working "under construction".  Two more weeks?? Everything is in plastic bins or desks that are scattered throughout our main floor.  I've never felt so chaotic or scattered as I began a school year.  Except for that one year where my husband decided to change our curriculum at the cusp of the new year to a classical one...which we used for a month.  Ah, those were memories!


I am missing summer.  These "sand cakes" decorated with flowers and berries make me nostalgic for all of the little neighborhood girls that spent hours upon hours in our yard this summer.  Thankfully, they'll be back on the weekends while the weather lasts.  Such sweet days.


A few plans for the week: Gymnastics on Tuesdays for Galadriel, Ballet on Wednesdays for Arwen and Galadriel (Rosie is still too shy).  And now we've decided to add "hunter's safety" at the local library two nights a week through October.  So much for taking a break this fall!  Well, at least my boys aren't in a sport (thank heavens!).  Unless you count the fishing that they've just taken up as a new passion!  Is there anything more wholesome than fishing? Oh--and they're learning to altar serve! So, yes, I guess that quesion is answered. ;)  It makes our mornings a bit earlier than usual (getting to Mass on time is pretty important now)...but so very well worth it!

Something to encourage: I just came upon this article from a new home educating mom.  Short and sweet, and a good little jog to the memory as to some of the reasons why we might do all of this!

http://littlehearth.blogspot.ca/2015/09/the-big-yellow-bus-and-why-my-child.html




No comments:

Post a Comment