"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Galadriel, ballerina

It's important for me to let you know that we really haven't "done" ballet.  My girls took 2 or 3 years when they were young from a home schooling mom, who was actually a really good teacher.  But we quit, as I quit many many things, when I would feel overwhelmed after the addition of a new child to our family.

We started up again several years back at a Protestant church venue, which again, was good in many ways, but turned out to be too much of a church "ministry" for me to feel comfortable with, as a Catholic.  Once again, I was relieved to have an easier schedule.  Another year went by.  But I always remembered the joy my girls would return home from ballet with.  Really, they'd come home late and dance and laugh in their room as I tried to hush them and get them to bed.

Last year Galadriel played basketball at the local Catholic school, and had fun, but also ran into some situations that were typical "school stuff", and good lessons, but not awesome.

I ran into a couple of friends who told me about a new (to me) dance school, and one friend really encouraged me to sign up.  I signed up my three youngest girls.

At Christmas, I was ready to say the first semester was all we were going to do this year.  But Galadriel opened her heart to me.  She said it was a dream of hers to be in a performance.


I told her we simply could not do both basketball and ballet.  She thought about it very seriously, and she determined that she really wanted to dance!


She said it was a life goal of hers to get en pointe.  She begged and pleaded and agreed that it would be the only thing she would do.


Galadriel was pre-pointe and was very challenged to keep up after being out of ballet for so long.  She practiced and worked hard, and loved every minute.

The week before the performance we got a letter in the mail saying that Galadriel had graduated to the next class.  She needed to buy her pointe shoes before next season, and they recommended a class this summer.

As I watched Galadriel on the evening of her performance, I wept.  It's true, I'm an incurable cryer.  But still.  I was so proud of her.


 Galadriel is a girl who works with determination to reach her goals.  They don't always come easily for her.  As a mother, it is my joy to help her develop her talents.  She makes it so worth it.


So now you have it: my three ballerinas!


Congratulations Galadriel!

No comments:

Post a Comment