"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Rosie's dance

I told you about Eowyn's rehearsal in the post before this one.  As I said, each girl of mine is so very unique.  Eowyn is just a 4-year-old little sparkle.  She's kindof air-headed in the way that little girls are, and with all due respect for the charm that is a dingy sprite that's just past toddlerhood.

But Rosie was never dingy.  She has always had a lot of depth and poise.  She can run and play and giggle with the best of them, but she has a different temperament than a lot of my children.


During rehearsal, Rosie was very serious and performed her dance without a mistake.  We did, however, have to tell her to remember to SMILE for the performance.


Rosie's song was Disney's "Happy Little Working Song" and they performed with cheerful little feather dusters.  The thing is, Rosie totally has a bubbly and cheerful side to her.  Somehow this song seemed perfect for her!


Sweet Rosie is used to having to fight for her place in this big family, being #6 of 9.  She's choleric in temperament. Dancing brings out the whimsical, light-hearted side of her personality, and being able to shine on stage without any siblings in sight was, for her, just good.


I was thankful for the chance to cherish her in a unique light.  For Eowyn, ballet is all about the tutu.  For Rosie, I think ballet is a place where she is not one of the "little kids".   And on the day of the performance, she was big smiles the whole time through and she really led the class in the dance.


I watched from behind the curtain, and as she leapt off the stage she jumped and laughed with delight.  I was hoping to quit dance because I really hate the running and the schedules especially through the winter when the big kids play basketball.  But I really think this just might be very worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment