"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Confirmation

Arwen was confirmed on Thursday evening.  She is my first to receive Confirmation, which is the completion of the Sacraments of Initiation into the Catholic Church.  Receiving the Gifts of the Holy Spirit by the anointing with Chrism oil, the same oil used at Baptism.  

For those who have had babies Baptized in the Catholic Church, you know there is that glorious smell  of Chrism oil.  It's clove.  And you really only smell that smell at Baptisms.  I don't wash my babies for days, just to keep that smell lasting longer.  


I had been thinking of Arwen's baptism, and how much that day meant to me, ten days after she was born.  I was remembering her grandparents flying out to Virginia, and the Church where she was baptized.  As I walked up to Communion during the Confirmation Mass, I had to pass all of the confirmants, newly anointed, (there were probably 50), and they all smelled like little babies who had just been baptized!  I suppose the fact that I've had 9 babies of my own baptized might have highlighted this sense memory in me.


I almost felt that I was passing a sea of innocent little babies, now transformed into teens, my own Sixteen-year-old beautiful daughter included.  Like my life just flashed from her baptism to her confirmation.  I was so struck by the power and beauty of the connection between that day and this, that sacrament and this completion of it.

My Mom was able to stand as her proxy, since my sister, Arwen's Godmother, couldn't make it to be her sponsor in person.  My Dad sat with me in the pew. I was so grateful for their presence.


Are you surprised to hear that Arwen chose Kateri as her confirmation name?  I think it sounds beautiful with her full, given, Christian name.  (People have actually asked if these are blog names or if I'm just a huge Tolkien fan!  Just blog names. :) )

My sister and a close friend just had babies this Easer.  My friend named her baby Kateri.  Her Kateri will be baptized soon, and anointed with Chrism oil.  I sometimes feel sad thinking that I may not have any more babies of my own.  God knows, but someday there will be a last.  It struck me as an incredible joy that I actually have a newly anointed "Kateri" of my own this Easter!  16 years after her baptism, we get to present her anew: "Bishop", my Mom said, right arm on Arwen's right shoulder, "I present to you Kateri"!


And the sweetest friend in the world was there to show her support!


Kateri, congratulations! I am so proud of you!


I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment