"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Thinking Aloud

I haven't really "done" Facebook.  I need to limit my time on the internet, and staying off of Facebook is a good way to simply cut out that particular temptation.  However, as I used Facebook to promote the talk given by Leila Lawler last week, I spent more time on Facebook than ever before, and something became clear to me: I use my blog like others use Facebook.  Pictures, quippy captions.  It's a sort of on-line journal, except with Facebook you get your friends commenting and clicking little like and love icons as you go.



So, I wondered whether this blog was really serving me any decent purpose and whether or not I should just move over to Facebook with the rest of the world.

But there is one little thing I prefer about my blog space: I can write.  I can ramble and muse a bit.  And if people don't want to read it all, they by no means are prevented from clicking away!

Writing, for me, is therapeutic.  It is an artistic outlet.  It's pretty obvious that I have precious little time to write and create, thus the Facebook-like posts with pictures and captions.  But, in theory at least, there is room here for just a bit more.

So, as for those deep and probing posts that are full of wisdom?  Well, right now I'm out of time.  But, perhaps, from time to time, there might be a post or two.  And so, in my optimism, I hang on to this space.



No comments:

Post a Comment