"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Summer Days

Last night we had a bonfire.  

It was the feast of the nativity of St. John the Baptist.  Following the summer solstice, the days grow shorter.  After Christmas, and the close-by winter solstice, the days grow longer.  

"He must increase and I must decrease."

Apparently, bonfires are a tradition for this feast.  

I bought the world's worst fire pit for my husband last Father's Day.   I was too cheap to spring for one that cost over $200.  However, I would recommend investing in something large and sturdy if I were to recommend.  As of now, we're making do with something small and flimsy...but, you get what you pay for.  In any case, it does hold fire, so we enjoy.


When you have 9 children, roasting marshmallows is a little risky.

There is fire, hot gooey marshmallows that occasionally go up in flame.


The attendant fire-hot sticks.



 And then, the s'mores!




There might be an uncalled for marshmallow fight.

 And lots and lots of smoke.


Of course, it is totally worth it!

Especially if you end up with a little prayer and song, and a surprise rain shower, followed by...


 Look carefully: it's a double rainbow! (you can't see it below)


And then this sunset!



I am really really loving June!  



No comments:

Post a Comment