"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Old-Posting: "How it's going"

Obviously, I'm having a hard time blogging these days...I thought I'd toss this half-post up for what it's worth.  I'm not really sure how I was planning to end it, so I'm just going to share it as is.  There are some cute pictures and it captures my life from a couple of weeks ago:



One of the very most frequent questions a new mom gets as she ventures out for the first times to circulate among friends and family and local community is: "how's it going?"  I thought I'd say a few things here, just for fun. 

 #1: Sam is an incredible sleeper (and I'm finding wood to go knock on).  He's only three weeks old, so he might hit a colicky stage yet (it happened with Aragorn after his first month), but I have also been blessed with some champion sleepers.  My boys, actually, have tended to do better than my girls at night.  So, my first response is: I'm sleeping pretty darn well!  

I'll make my two-year-old #2:

Sibling rivalry is taking a bit of an odd twist with this baby.  Eowyn is 100% in-love with Sam.  We do "this little piggy" on his toes just about every time we change his diaper.  Eowyn gets diapers and wipes, gives kisses, and rubs his head.  On the other hand, I am seeing a side of Eowyn that never existed before.  A side that can't handle...anything...without shrieks and tears, classic two-year-old tantrums because a new baby is hard on a two-year-old.  Even if she loves him.  Her little world is a little rocked.  The truth is, I spoiled her for 2.5 years because she was my "baby."  Honestly, I don't regret all of the "holding time" she received.  But now she has to share (me!), and that's where the difficulty lies.  So, I've been trying to spend more time holding her, reading to her, and reminding her that she's still my baby girl.  **update: we're doing MUCH better on that front!


I wish all parenting struggles could be resolved by more snuggle time.


I followed a link from elizabeth's blog to Sally Clarkson's blog to this post, which I found quite edifying and worth sharing.  Motherhood...I'm telling you--did any of us realize what we were getting into?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment