"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, August 29, 2016

First Day!


This is the time of year for me to share deep thoughts on my philosophy of education.  Perhaps luckily for you, between my 8 week old baby in arms and the other 8 children I'm responsible for, there is little time for creating lengthy and deep posts.

Can I simply wish you all "good luck" as you begin your new school years?!


Quick glimpse at my first day:
Aragorn got his glasses today.
Arwen starts high school--home schooled!--this year.
Rosie starts grade school this year.
Galadriel turns "10" tomorrow!  I have to make a "nerds" cake (as in, the candy) by special request.  
Legolas threw his coloring book across the room and demanded "a hard one" (workbook), so I found some "cut and paste".
Eowyn wants to play with her cousin.  I bribed her to go play outside by handing her a cookie.
Gimli is timing himself and keeps updating me on how many hours vs. how many subjects he has completed so far.
Bilbo's lesson plans exploded on him, so he got off to a rough start until I could organize them and secure them in his 3-ring binder.  Then he rocked a spelling lesson once he was reminded what a syllable was!

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment