"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Morning in May::Daybook

Outside my (boys') window:
Surprise!  The egg count is up to 3 as of this morning!  I love how robins will do that--get you all excited by laying just one egg and then add another every day for a while.  I'm wondering if we'll get four before the laying is through.
(photo credit: Arwen)
Last week was so painfully grey and cold and full of rain.  I honestly really really have a hard time without seeing the sun.  A couple of those cloudy days the sun did break through for a couple of hours, so I was able to make it through.  God is merciful even in little ways.

(photo credit: Arwen)
This morning the sun is shining clear and bright!  Good weather is predicted for this week.  I intend to bask in every ray--outdoors as much as possible!

(photo credit: Arwen)
May is the month of Mary:  I was so very delighted to discover that the new statue of Our Lady placed outside of our neighborhood parish is "Our Lady Seat of Wisdom"--the title of Mary that our Galadriel is named for.  The priest is going to consecrate the statue after the May Crowning next week and we intend to be there!  (I'll try to get a picture of Galadriel with her "patron statue").  

Funny: last night I told Galadriel the title of the statue of Mary and she said, "A statue, in my honor!"  We laughed and said, "no, you were named in her honor!" 


May is for priestly ordinations and travel:  I have a brother who is going to be ordained this May.  In Europe!  (prayers welcome)  I cannot really go 7 months pregnant with 8 children in tow...financially or physically (or psychologically) so I will wait for him to visit in June and say his "first Mass" with us here.  My husband and I, however, have decided to send a "representative": Arwen!

While I recognize that this is a huge and exciting opportunity for her (one I certainly have never had!), the Mom in me is trying to keep my anxiety at bay as I anticipate sending my daughter to the other side of the world!!!!!  Keep in mind that I'm a home-schooling mom.  I'm probably more attached than most moms to their kids.  This one is stretching me.  (Even if she is going with my parents!)



A few plans for the month:

Baseball.  Practices start tonight.  My husband is head coach for Gimli this year.  I get to take Aragorn to his practice now that he's moved up to another league and not on Gimli's team this year.  Tomorrow is Galadriel's first softball practice (and first time on a team sport!)  She couldn't be more excited (or cuter in her softball uniform!).   

My husband did have to beg for an assistant coach to sign on:  come late June there's a "little someone" who is due to arrive.  He trumps a baseball game--and there's no way I'm doing this alone!! Happily, a kind uncle offered to assist, so we've got a back up if hubby needs to make a fast get-away to the birthing center!:)  


Track.  Arwen is excited because she's got field events at her next meet (the last one was indoors and just had the running.)  Long jump, shot put and discus ahead!  I'll let you know how it goes:).


Prayerfully pondering:  high school.  Are you sick of hearing about this?  I'm still waiting for the new "classical curriculum" high school opening in our area to announce location and headmaster.

...I am also honing in on my favorite home schooling for high school options.  I'm praying so hard (and probably making my husband crazy by talking his ear off) about what is best for my oldest daughter next year.

I have a pretty strong "philosophy of education" that I apply to no one but my own family, and it flexes for each child's temperment and learning style.  I'm opinionated and picky when it comes to giving what is good, true, and beautiful to my children.  I want them to learn how to work hard and have discipline in their education, but I don't want to "kill" their love of learning by driving them through tedious and dry material just because it's part of some set curriculum.  It's all a balance, and I don't think I have it all figured out!

The thing about Arwen in particular is that she is a girl who is always up for a challenge and new experiences.  I think that school would be a thrill for her.  However, she is also very detail-oriented and self-motivated.  She would thrive with a demanding and set curriculum (she loves lesson plans and checklists!)  But she also has needs for a healthy social life.

I have more thoughts to add on that point, but I have a little boy who wants to read Dr. Suess right now--so I'll post and write more on that later!

Happy Monday!  Happy May!!








No comments:

Post a Comment