"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Field Trip Day :: The Zoo!!



Today we had a field trip day!

Arwen loves it when we get to the zoo because she gets to practice her photography skills.  She was quite proud of this shot:


Since I put Arwen in charge of the photos, I am actually in some of these pictures, and, since I'm growing ever so well in the virtue of humility (yes, I jest), you might actually get to see a glimpse of that not-as-cute-as-some "baby bump" I'm sporting (I mean, I would never say my baby is not-as-cute-as-some, but I'm not my ideal image of pregnant beauty)

On to the zoo!  We totally lucked out this visit with amazingly good weather so all of the animals were out, plus, there had been some new births!

A baby gorilla was recently born (here he is on his mama's back) and was very fun to watch!  At this point Eowyn was pretty much loving the zoo.


Then we saw...the orangutan!!  It was a 34-year-old adult male and I'm not going to lie...he was a little scary.  Eowyn was seriously, um, concerned. 


I couldn't hold her forever (due to the belly), but I got help:

(still clinging tightly)

As we moved on she started perking up again.



Even he's no longer officially the baby boy in the family, at 4-years-old he'll still hitch a ride:




All 8 lined up to see the bears:


In an amazingly foolish act of teen-age imprudence, Arwen at this point suggested to Eowyn that she would "throw her in with the bear"...at which point Eowyn came crying and screaming back to yours truly, and then to her father because, yes, I can't really carry my toddlers for long over "the belly".



Must love peacocks (actually, pea fowl, according to the sign).




Luckily by the time we saw the promised "baby giraffe" (and the elephants) Eowyn was feeling less traumatized by the trip.  Because this was a sort of "end-of-the-school-year" celebration, we let the kids ride on the carousel and the train (I know, spoil, spoil).




So yes, at the end of this beautiful morning at the zoo, and after seeing all of the amazing animals, Eowyn's favorite part?  Riding the "horsey" on the carousel with her Daddy.

Next week? Back to work! We've got to wrap up this school year so I can focus on more important things like getting my baby's clothes washed and folded in a dresser!  Newborn diapers!  I tell you: a mother of 8 has so little time to nest!



No comments:

Post a Comment