"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, December 14, 2015

St. Lucia Day: Saved!


Last night it was pitch dark and pouring rain.  All of our Christmas lights were on inside.  There was a ring at the doorbell.  There, hood up, stood my niece with dark golden hair, holding a platter with braided St. Lucia bread drizzled with icing and craisins.



My dear sister had baked it that afternoon and shared the enormous loaf that it makes with us.

I had failed, once again, to remember St. Lucy's day.  I always think it's the 14th.  When Father mentioned the feast at Mass yesterday morning, once again I felt totally defeated.  I pretty quickly reminded myself that this isn't really a tradition we need to keep.  We aren't Scandinavian and we have no "Lucy"s in the house.  Still, I absolutely love the idea of my girls waking early to bring hot rolls to the sleeping menfolk in bed.  Hasn't really happened...
But!

Last night I pulled out two St. Lucy picture books and let the kids munch on the gift of St. Lucy bread while we read two more from our basket.

It was perfect.


Santa Lucia, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment