"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

{PFHR} Mid October

{Pretty}

It was a late fall this year, and the color is still with us! 

(**update: I started this post a few days back...it's been raining and our leaves aren't quite this splendid as of today.)





This means I had extra weeks to do my annual wax paper and leaves project with the kids!  Love this project. My mom did it with us when we were kids...and we weren't home schooled.  My mom was just that sweet.


{Happy}

And of course, the fun that comes with leaves:




The kids did their own carving this year.  I love that the big ones are old enough to man the job! Makes it so much nicer for me:).


{Funny}

My crew passed hunter's safety this Monday.  They are very excited to get out and hunt!  Yesterday morning we saw this handsome fellow and his two doe in our forest:



I find it ironic that people will drive for hours and sit in the freezing cold in hopes of spotting just one of these guys...and here they are in our cozy little suburb, safe, fat and happy!  I'm glad we can't hunt them here--they're too beautiful!

{Real}

The invitations are out for our Second Annual Martinmas Celebration!! Our pastor is the BEST! He is leading the lantern procession and doing a special Benediction, just for us!

I first learned about Martinmas here (thank you again, Auntie Leila!  If you're a reader of LMLD, you're probably way ahead of me):

http://www.likemotherlikedaughter.org/2014/11/a-little-procession-for-the-feast-of-st-martin-or-building-the-culture-with-celebration/

Here are the pcitures from last year's posts of the lantern we tried to make (it failed, but the Ball Jar ones always turn out beautifully!


















                          Ah yes, and the upside down picture of the feast at the celebration:


This year, it's the same thing, but we're hoping for double the numbers!  If we make it to our "Third Annual" I think we might have to put an announcement in the bulletin and open it up to the whole parish!

But first, our All Saints' Day party is today!! Check back later for a report on the party!:)  

2 comments:

  1. We have deer in our area all the time and live in suburbia as well! (Although I like to pretend we live on a ten acre farm sometimes ;).
    What a great leaf project and what a fun mom you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Martinmas celebration sounds wonderful - good for you for getting it going!!

    ReplyDelete