"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

All Saints' Day Party!!

Despite two families (10 children combined) missing from our numbers due to illness, we had an amazing All Saints' Day party at our parish gym today.  It was so much fun, and so easy with each mom contributing to just part of the celebration!

Arwen and I put this banner together at the last minute:


Thank you, Jessica, for this amazing banner download and tutorial!
(You'll recognize the characters from the Alphabet of Saints book- so cute!)

We were able to hang it using baker's twine and it sure added a fun accent to the festivities.

"Happy Feast of All Saints"! (That was a long banner! I couldn't get a good picture of al of it:))

I didn't get a picture of all of the treats (I took this picture as the moms were still arriving), but I didn't bake a thing! Thank you so much to the moms who did!
The kids were asked to dress as a favorite or patron saint, but since I did NOT want to make any moms turn a party into a stressful day, I said that name tags were just fine!

I don't blog other people's children without permission, so I have little to show you.  Almost all of the children were in darling costumes...this homemade costume was UNbelievably CUTE!

Our Lady of Lourdes, of course:


And when you closed the cape, the yellow "roses" over each foot!


Decor, food, costumes...on to the games!

Each of the following games were provided by my good friend, and I am missing pictures of one or two more.   There was "St. Peter's Fishing", "St. Therese's rose petal drop," and "Francis Xavier 'Around the World' over at the gym's basketball hoop!:)

"Cannonize the Saint" (by tossing a "halo" over their heads!).

glow necklaces, what else?!

 "Sin no more": knock down the sins, bowling!


St. Anthony's "Lost and Found": dig for hidden sacramentals! See if you can find all 7!:) (For some reason, this one was a BIG hit! I'd recommend it for a wide array of ages).


We ended with a "Litany of Saints" where each child was able to walk across the stage (that is at one end of the gym) as one of the mothers who is gifted with a beautiful voice sang "Saint fill-in-the-blank" and we all responded "Pray for us".

It was a wonderful and fun afternoon.  With Trick-or-Treating this weekend, I love to make sure my kids remember that All Saint's Day is the feast that we're celebrating.  It's so much richer, more colorful, and delightful than tired cobwebs and blow up lawn pumpkins.  We've got family, heroes, and patrons to celebrate and sing about!  It's not too late to host your own party this weekend or next week! Do it! I promise you'll be glad you did!

Happy Feast Day on November 1st!!

No comments:

Post a Comment