"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Epiphany



There's this little tradition, that is age-old and world-wide.  Actually, way older and more universal than our modern day Santa Claus.  The idea is that the Three Kings bring gifts to all of the children.  In some places, it's the "Epiphany Camel" that brings the gifts.  I think I am correct in my understanding that it is actually the more usual way to celebrate gift-giving in Europe and South American countries, rather than giving gifts on Christmas itself.

Can I just say that I would LOVE to get the presents off of Christmas?! But, then of course the kids would be all excited for the Epiphany.  I'd hate for Christmas to come in as second-best. I think I just wish it could all be EASIER, but celebrating with food and gifts is never simple with a big group of kiddos and extended family to boot! So, enough bah humbug out of me and back to the point!

The Epiphany, the visitation of the Three Wise men from the East who followed the Star to Bethlehem.  This feast is January 6th, but it is moved to the preceding Sunday in my diocese.  So...tomorrow!

If you've stayed with me this far, I get to the fun part here: you know all of that straw your kids put into the crib to prepare for baby Jesus? The pieces of paper or string that formed his soft bed with each sacrifice or good act throughout Advent?  Well, you don't have to throw them away! No!

The Epiphany Camels must be fed!!

So, have the children put some of that hay from the manger into their shoes to feed the Camels as the Wise Men pass on their way to Bethlehem...and see what gifts the Wise Men leave in token of appreciation!

I know we've just come through St. Nick's and Christmas and everyone is feeling sick of sugary treats.  Although, one last little candy cane would probably be cherished at this point if you are like me and started tossing cookies the day after Christmas because we just. couldn't. go. on!!  But I'd also recommend something to enjoy as the school year is about to commence and the winter looms large ahead.  A new box of crayons?  Water color paints? Adding splashes of color, new art supplies remind us all of the fun side of education, get us excited to get back to some of those workbooks as well as provide creative outlets on long cold afternoons.  On the other hand, as my husband said, "we could just get them a candy bar: it's what they want anyway".

Either way:).

My time's up.  Get creative, and have one last day of festivity and gifts.  Celebrate the Epiphany in small or full-fledged manner. (You can celebrate tonight or any time through the morning of the

7th).  Your kids won't complain!  Let the Christmas season play out in full.  Stay with the Baby in the Manger, linger near His Mother, and meditate upon the homage paid to the baby King.  He would not die in like manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment