"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Afterglow



Thank heavens for the octave of Christmas!  If you read my previous post, you know that my Christmas (day) was not one of quiet reflection on the gift of the Incarnation.



 If I had better planning, or if we didn't have 8 kids, or if I hadn't offered to host my large extended family, it could have been different.  But it wasn't…and that's ok.  It's ok, because I didn't miss it.  It took a few days to come down off of the rush and crush that was our large family Christmas, but I have a few days.  More than a few: an Octave!

 And as I try to sweep up the crumbs of the last cookies and pull furniture back into place, I am trying to notice, too, the Chirstmas afterglow:


 the peaceful spots of beauty that rest in the corners of my home.


























   I just want to appreciate them and let them sink in--because whisking them away and getting excited about a fresh new year and a new Spring Semester of homeschooling is also a big temptation. [ And there will be time for that. ]

But this time is the baby moon.  I don't want to miss it, because newborns don't keep very long.  We do want to get back to the normal rhythm of life, but not before we drink in the precious moments with the Baby, breathing in his sweet breath.  Listening to the rhythm of His breathing.  Drinking in His Spirit.

And celebrating His Mother, the Mother of God, on the first day of the new year.

The manger, Christmas, Mother and Child.  Welcome 2015!

Happy New Years!



No comments:

Post a Comment