"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Halloween!




I've got some rules when it comes to Halloween.  First rule is that every single year I remind my children what All Hallow's E'en is celebrating: the Eve of All Saint's Day.  And we DO celebrate All Saint's Day with (well, Mass, per Holy Day of Obligation) no school, festive food, and usually big parties with a bunch of kids dressed as Saints, but this year, just us, dressed as saints around the dinner table.  We also do Litanies of the Saints by song, singing "pray for us" as we sing the names of ever single saint we can possibly remember!  It takes a long time and is one of my favorite traditions ever!


Rule #2: no scary costumes, and only happy pumpkins.  The happy pumpkins was my Dad's rule, and that's probably just because he's such a sweet man and my Mom also was pretty staunchly opposed to anything yucky/dark/or scary.  I know that some people simply boycott this holiday (I used to skip the trick-or-treating because I hate the ugly stuff too) but I'm personally out to reclaim it as rightfully ours, as we wear fun costumes (if not Saints on trick-or-treating night) and go get candy before the big Feast Day.


I love fall, I love feeling neighborly, and I love kids being able to knock on anyone's door and being greeted with smiles and treats.  I think in our society where we are all isolated in our own little homes and have precious little community, this is a worthy activity.

Rule #3 (it's not a rule): I LOVE it when we can coordinate our costumes as a family!! We have gone as the "Racing Sausages" and as the "Fellowship of the Ring".  This year, we went as playing cards.  Specifically, we were a "Royal Flush", with Joker, and some Clubs thrown in for good measure (and there were too many of us to just go as one hand).




Yes, we were a LARGE group of cards (we had some cousins join in for the fun!) and yes, we received many comments on our costumes.

I thought it was a great success!

Looking forward to All Saint's Day tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment