"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Red-Winged Blackbird


Image result
My Mom was on a walk at a nearby park with my brother who is a priest. He was home on his first visit after his ordination.  There were tons of red-winged blackbirds. 
 As his visit came to an end and her first-born flew back to Europe, my Mom returned to that park with my Dad, heart heavy after saying goodbye to her son.  As my parents walked, my Mom remembered the red-winged blackbirds she had seen with my brother.  There had been so many!  Today, there were none.






I love this picture.  What secret joke are these two sharing?

She missed my brother so much (he belongs to an order in Europe).  She began to pray that she'd see just one red-winged blackbird, as a sign from God that my brother was ok.

Image result

A silly request.  From a mother's heart.  Not really silly at all, though.  A mother's prayer.

And it was answered!  Just as she was leaving the park, about to enter her car, she saw a red-winged blackbird.

Just a little gift from a loving and merciful Lord.


Well, this May my brother celebrated his First Year Anniversary as a priest.




-----------

Image result

I was running my morning run around our pond.  Dozens of red-winged blackbirds make their homes here, nesting in the reeds near the water.  I never thought of it before.  I took them for granted and made sure my kids didn't touch the eggs in the nests as they hunted for frogs or fished.  The birds are known to dart at anyone coming too near.


But I was alone on my run, and my mind went to my brother.  The red-winged blackbird.


Forgive me, my father is a poet.
Image result



Black bodies like the black robes of a priest.

Red shoulders: fire.  The Holy Spirit resting upon them.

The reeds that are their home: like the reeds that held the bitter gall to the lips of Jesus, like the reed in His hand at the passion, a home is made amidst sacrifice.

And their trill: loud, sharp, even abrasive.  Salt.  A sign of contradiction.  Words for ears that are open to hear.  "Be alert."
Image result for images of red-winged blackbirds

They can be a little scary.

They are bold, they cry out as you pass, there is no mistaking their appearance.

And they fly!  My brother only comes to us via air!  And he goes again after his visit.  He happens to travel quite a bit, actually.  In fact, I use his location to teach my children quite a bit of geography!  The Holy Land, Helsinki...Poland, and here!  I like to think of him as a bird flying around as he does his work.  His work for the Lord.


Today, I renew my gratitude to God that I have a brother who is a priest.  I renew my resolve to support him in prayer.

I will certainly say a prayer for him, and for all priests, when I see this bird with it's flame-red wings.





No comments:

Post a Comment