"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, May 12, 2017

On Mother's Day


Dear Mom,

It was a beautiful day on Wednesday, and Maria was headed to the park with her twins.  I headed out with a bunch of my kids, some with fishing poles and nets.  I texted Beth on the way.

"Ok, I'm Coming!" flashed on my phone a few moments later.

And just like that, the three of us girls were headed for the park.  Together, with our kids.

That would be 17 kids, if all of ours had come.  I only had six of mine, and Beth only had four.  So, thirteen.  Three moms, thirteen kids.  

And it's just us sisters.  Thinking of Ann and her children at every moment that we get together like this.  It should have been four of us, and 18 kids.  
 

The weather turned a little cold and threatened rain.  I didn't want Maria getting caught in the rain with her newborns, having to walk home, so I said we should cut it short.  We had to track down the boys (and a couple sisters) at the pond.  A net covered in muck was tossed in my stroller.


I was following the pack when I just had to take these pictures.  My beautiful children, my beautiful nieces and nephews, my beautiful sisters!  How can my life be so good?!  Well, God is so good.


But, you and Dad had to be open to giving us this gift.  God wants this for more of us, but so many people won't have it.  They couldn't image having the eight children you and dad had!


Maybe you couldn't imagine doing it either.  Maybe there were days where you wouldn't recommend it.  Maybe there were days when you wished you hadn't!
But you did.

You were our mother.


And now I have friends a phone call away.  And friends for my children.


Except these friends are related by blood.  In part, your blood.


And there is ease, and there is fun, and there is love.  Most of all, there is love.


So, on this mother's day, I thank you.  Thank you for your sacrifice.  Every day for so many decades.  It hasn't stopped yet, your self-giving, your mothering, your love, your prayers.

remember painting this room for me? And when Amelia started high school, you painted her study for me too!

How many Thanksgiving turkeys do you think you've stuffed?

How many rosaries?  How many novenas?
How many hugs? How many tears?
How many cookouts?!!!


You've thrown six weddings, and an Ordination to the Priesthood First Mass.


You traveled to Europe for that Ordination with your oldest grandchild, my daughter.  Did either of us think that would ever happen?  I didn't.





Another wedding this summer.  More grandchildren?


Did you ever wonder if your life had meaning?


I never did.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment