"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Caroling

My neighbor is a cantor at our church and has a beautiful voice.  Our daughters are in choir together.  This year she invited our family to join hers in a night of caroling in our neighborhood.

I didn't give my boys or my husband the option of staying home.  A-caroling we would go!

There was a group of about 20 of us, just three families; as usual, we made up more than half of the group.  It was dark, which helped with those of us who might have been a little timid to show our faces as we sang for neighbors.  Eowyn had a jingle bell shaker.  Sam fell asleep in our jogger stroller, all bundled up in his fuzzy bear bunting.

"Angels we have heard on high!"  We sang out.   I tried to follow the key set by my lovely-voiced friend.  "Tell what may the tidings be, which inspire this heavenly song?"

Suddenly I found myself caught up in the words that I was singing, verse after verse of each song.

"Come to Bethlehem and see Him whose birth the angels sing; Come adore on bended knee, Christ the Lord the newborn King."

I was loudly shouting, singing, to help lead my children in doing the same, to make our group's efforts sound robust...but also, finding myself very moved indeed by this strange evangelization.  I was belting out into the cold night air, to my neighbors and to anyone who might hear, to "adore on bended knee, Christ the Lord!"  Commanding, really, but more inviting to join "all ye faithful."

"O Come let us adore Him"

The gospel was preached over and again as we made our way through the ice and snow, singing for our neighbors.

"Noel, noel, Born is the King of Israel"

We came home freezing and hungry, but my heart was full and warm.  I felt a little like those angels, I think, announcing "Christmas" to the shepherds on the night Jesus was born.  I hadn't expected the night to turn out that way.  I was moved by the kindness and warmth with which we were received--with cookies and requests to sing another song for the 95-year-old grandmother who made her way slowly to the door.  I hope and pray that those warm hearts receiving us with joy and gratitude is a reflection of how our  Lord is received in their hearts on Christmas day.

"Gloria in excess Deo".




No comments:

Post a Comment