"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

overheard

Arwen: I could never be a nun.

Me: (silently consider how to respond to this.)

Arwen: I could never live with a bunch of other women and wear unfashionable clothing.

Me: "It's not unfashionable, it's outside of the realm of fashion, it's like symbolic garb." (Amongst other considerations...I was just reacting in the moment as best I could).

Arwen: "Well, I don't want to wear symbolic garb."

I suggest that if the Lord would call her to that vocation He would also provide her the graces to want to be a nun.  I suggest a few other considerations as well.

Arwen:  "I would be a consecrated virgin.  And a basketball coach.  I would be a consecrated virgin; then I could wear normal clothes!"

And so, our vocational discernment continues.

(Arwen did admit to be half joking for this above conversation which I did get permission to record here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment