"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, December 9, 2016

December Daybook


 Outside my window:  cold and sunny.  Very cold, but sunny.  After a stretch of grey skies and wet snows, mud and slush, I'll take the change up for dry and freezing cold and (did I mention?) sunny.
You all know I'm solar powered, right?  I'm totally energy efficient, when the sun shines.  Ok, I'll stop.


It is officially too cold for me to keep up my jogging routine.  I have wanted to post about my morning jogs, and how much I have loved them.  I have met neighbors and made friends (well, we wave and say something about the weather, so it's friendly and a nice way to start my day).

I watched the pond steam in the early mornings of late November.  I watched geese and ducks swim and bob for fish (or whatever they eat).  One morning I heard splashing as I ran across a bridge over a stream and I saw a deer leaping through the stream as I ran past.  It has made my heart leap so many times, all of the morning beauty.  (And you all know I'm a morning person).  It front loads my day in a very good way.  Well, it did.


Yesterday we headed over to the local gym and got a family pass for the winter months.  This morning Arwen and I tried it out.  We were total newbies and couldn't find the lockers and then couldn't figure out how to lock them.  But I did get on a treadmill in the end and jogged for 20 minutes.  I watched the news (well, I read it, because the sound is off).  A little depressing.  It was fun to teach my daughter how to use one of the weight machines.  I told her I'd show her how to use a new machine each morning until she could go solo and customize her workout.

It's apparent to me that I'm going to have to bundle up and get my dog out on a walk if I want sunshine, fresh air, and a look at something beautiful.  I'll run inside this winter, but I miss the beauty.


Around the house this week:


So, it was my birthday.:)  Galadriel made this banner for me.  It's so darn cheerful and cute--it will probably be displayed forever.  I might move it from the dining room where it is right now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it.

It was also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, which is Gimli's birthday.  He turned 12, which always seems weird because Aragorn turned 13 in June, so as of 7 months ago Aragorn was my 12-year-old.  They are 18 months apart, but somehow it always throws me when Gimli "catches up" to Aragorn after just 6 months.  I might blog some pictures from his birthday, but the cake was a bit of a disaster.  If I overcome my pride, I might let you see it.  Later.


I'm pretty much in love with Christmas lights.  They are across my mantle, on the tree, on our Jesse Tree, and over the kitchen window.  We also decorated outside this year and got a new nativity scene that I'll try to get a picture of for you.  The warm glow at night is so calming and beautiful, and on dreary days, the added lights are cheerful.  I'm so about light.  Wait? Did I allude to that before?

Milestones:  Who is 5 months old?!!  Mr. Cuteness?!  Ohmygoodness I looooove him!!!!  So does Eowyn, which is why he has a marker smudge on his forehead (that's not an owie if you see a pink mark on his forehead in the picture).

 
I'm out of time!  Hope to catch ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment