"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tuesday Morning Daybook

Outside my window:  I'm not sure yet.  It's getting late for us not to have our shades drawn yet, but I slept in with a certain cuddly little two-year-old this morning.  Her room is at the extreme of our home, furthest from the furnace, and this winter we've had to rescue her from her crib a few times and let her warm up with us.

I am listening to:  plastic guns and shouting from the basement.  I'm not sure what game is being played, but they're playing nicely, so I'm going with it.

Around the house: Sadly, and for unknown reasons, Bilbo's precious turtle Arnold died last weekend.  I was going to blog about Arnold, but didn't get the chance.  Arnold lived in a 40 gallon aquarium, ate minnows (that was really fun to watch!) and got to have excursions to the living room where he'd chase some 2-and 3-year olds around to their great delight.

Arnold was kept in the boys' room, and Bilbo would love another for his birthday.  I, however, have been hoping for a pretty tropical aquarium for our schoolroom!  Is it bad for me to be angling for the aquarium?

Creating: Valentines!  Lent is so early this year, we decided to celebrate Valentine's Day on our first day of co-op.  That way we can enjoy our Valentine treats without feeling like we're breaking our Lenten resolutions.  Not that we couldn't eat candy during Lent.  But I'm coming up with craft ideas for the first co-op day that falls during Lent.  Now let's just see if Michael's and the dollar section at Target are good to me!:)

Along those lines:  Is the dollar section at Target everyone's favorite little place?  Right now they have these darling votive candles for $3.  Candles are expensive, so I'm tempted to stock up.  I just got one...but I tell you, my heart was tugging as I pushed that cart away.

Spring Cleaning:  During the cold and gray of January there's just one thing to do: brighten up my home!  For me, this means de-cluttering, cleaning, and restoring order.  The thing is, I've been intentionally working on this front, and I still have a rather impressive list of places to, um, "address".

My refrigerator and stove, the pantry, and the linen closet are topping my list.  Then there are the other and assundry cabinets and the bookshelves that really need a good re-ordering and dusting.  Because at least once a year you just have to take ALL of the books off and dust, right?

And I was reading about how antibacterial sunlight is.  I'm wondering how to capitalize upon this.  I sort of have the urge to drag my rugs out onto the ice and snow and let the sun kill the dust mites.  You know what's holding me back?  What the neighbors might think! (Well, and the prospect of wet rugs...)  Vanity dies slowly.

That is certainly enough rambling out of me for one morning!

Have a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment