"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Friday, January 22, 2016

"First-time Mom"

It's funny, my oldest is "only" 14, but with 7 little siblings following in hot pursuit, at some point I sort of stopped tracking "firsts" with my First.  Most of her firsts happened before she was 6, including learning to read, starting school, and getting orthodontics (with a wicked underbite)!

Well, this week I am happy to record a "first"!  Arwen began her first real job!  She's been babysitting for a while, but I'm not counting that.  She is working one morning a week at a local art studio.   Right now it's just volunteer, but she'll be paid this summer.  Last Wednesday Arwen stacked canvasses, swept floors, and scrubbed 300 paintbrushes clean!  She cleaned out a storage closet and came home with candy canes that aren't seasonal, but can't be kept for next year (the studio has a candy caddy for painters' enjoyment).

She also came home with a dozen used canvasses that need to be repainted (by her) to hang on the studio walls.  The entire studio is covered with paintings, and the owner wants a new wall covered.  Arwen has been having fun coming up with enough ideas for all of those paintings, and the rest of us have been having fun watching her create.  I do need to go buy some more paint...

I think this is an awesome opportunity for Arwen, and I hope it continues to work out for us.  Pictures to follow soon!:)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Congratulations, Arwen! Our kids are just getting too old. She'll be driving before we know it! Can't wait to see pictures of the artwork! :)

    ReplyDelete