"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Return of the Hunt!


Aragorn got himself a ten-point buck!  (Do we love the tongue hanging out? lol)


Happy.  Proud.


 It's a little sad to see just how beautiful these animals are.  They had to cut the mouth to see how old the buck was (he was two).



 A debt of gratitude to my brothers for orchestrating this first hunt for Arwen, Aragorn and Gimli.  My husband went with two of my brothers, so all three kids could go with one adult to accompany each child.  My husband didn't grow up hunting, so it was hugely helpful to have my brothers there to gut (and help drag) the buck.  My dad never hunted, so when my brothers wanted to learn they had to do everything by trial and error (with my sainted father dutifully assisting the effort).  They tell hillarious tales of the first time they had to gut a deer: reading a manual as my dad operated the knife.

And we've got 100 pounds of meat headed our way by Thanksgiving!  We just fired up the deep-freeze.  My kids are dreaming of deer sausage on the griddle with eggs--sooo good!

Congratulations Aragorn!




No comments:

Post a Comment