"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Martinmas Celebration 2015

November 11th, Veteran's Day, happens to land on the Feast of St. Martin of Tours.  Appropriately, St. Martin was a soldier himself, who became a Christian and spread the Light of Christ to pagan Rome.  As a result, fire is one of his symbols.  Over the centuries, the symbolism encompassed the season his feast landed on.  As the days of late Fall grew darker, more lights were lit to meet the winter.

Lantern processions became traditional throughout Europe on this day.  And why shouldn't we get in on that fun?!  I love finding ways to reclaim tradition!

This celebration is so fun, and so easy to celebrate.  Just lighting a candle and reading a story of the life of St. Martin in your home to your children would be lovely and special, but for the past two years we have been lucky enough to make this celebration happen on a bit larger of a scale.

This afternoon found us making some last minute Ball jar lanterns:

Just mod podge, tissue, and more mod podge--you can't go wrong!



They always turn out so beautifully!


We are blessed to have a parish priest who is very supportive of our little creative initiatives...so we secured the hall and church for the evening.  Evites went out for a pot luck.

Spice cake and clam chowder are traditional fare.  There were ham and rolls, and a large variety of platters, cider and an apple pie to round out the meal!

 The guests began to congregate,


 Excitement grew as we began to light the candles,



 I didn't get a picture of all of the candles, but there were so many!  So much creativity--each family's was a little different; each child's!


proud and happy!

I loved this one

Galadriel's, yes, it's accessorized!
 At this point I was carrying Eowyn and a candle, and Legolas was clinging to my knee, so the picture taking gets worse.  Then, when we entered church, I stopped taking pictures and tried to focus on the prayers and benediction.

Here we go!

                    
I was also in the first half of the processors, so sadly, I didn't get a great group shot.  I think there were about 40 of us there.  That's about double last year.  I'm hoping to double it again next year!



Happy Feast Day!

1 comment:

  1. The lanterns are beautiful! So sad we couldn't make it! I just couldn't swing it today. Thanks for the pictures! Hopefully we can finally make it next year!

    ReplyDelete