"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Morning Daybook

Outside my window:  it is still early morning and there is still a snow-scape.  

Bilbo threw snow at our front window and it stuck.  Legolas and Reina were watching the kids play. I thought they looked cute together! They're good friends.


I am listening to: Galadriel and Bilbo playing a game on the rug.  Legolas is next to me.  Everyone else?  Well, Eowyn and Rosie are still sleeping, but the big kids and my husband are hunting!!

Crafting Creating very belated gifts: 
My goddaughter turned three in September.  Yesterday I was determined to get the pile of flannel and fleece off of my dining room table!  It was snowy outside, and there was a game on, so it was the perfect opportunity to finish this project that had been sitting in my brain (and on my buffet) for weeks!

I found this darling flannel with nursery rhyme images on it.  I was hoping that it wasn't too babyish for a three year old.   



I just tie the top to the bottom with embroidery floss.  Still need to teach myself to quilt with a machine.  New Year's resolution.

So, in my crazy way, I thought I'd solve the problem by making the blanket bigger.  I usally make receiving blankets for babies that are just the right size to wrap around a newborn and use as a nursing blanket.  I thought about three-year-olds and started thinking rain forts and cozy read-aloud sessions on the couch with a bunch of siblings fighting over the blanket.

Sorry for the terrible lighting, my phone camera (rrrr) just to give you an idea of the size:


It's draped over two desks in the school room.  It was REALLY sunny and bright, which made my camera turn everything dark.  Lest you wonder why I didn't turn on a light already!


It is probably too big for a toddler bed... I'm not super at making good decisions.

Here's a glimpse at the coordinating flannel on the top:


(Do you see the soft pink fleece for the bottom? It makes a blanket like this SO warm, and pretty heavy...I'm not going to lie, it was hard to put the top on the bottom, and it's FAR from perfect).


Plans for the week:  I still plan on schooling Monday through Wednesday.  I might be persuaded to give the kids a day off of school to do a pre-holiday full-house cleaning.  My in-laws are coming the week after Thanksgiving and Advent starts next Sunday.  Both are good reasons to clean this house!

Looking ahead: Christmas shopping isn't simple when you have eight children!  Think about it: just one present for each, purchased and wrapped and hidden is not a simple proposition.  We usually get more than one present.  This year, I am promising the children ONE.  As in, they may request one special gift that they would really like (as opposed to handing us long lists of wishes).  Then I'll probably surprise them with little extras.

My boys all want BB guns this year.  Well, not Legolas (I mean, he'd love one...)  Galadriel and Rosie want Lego Friends.  I'm waiting for Arwen to decide as her list keeps changing.  And I'm actually really puzzled as to my little ones.  Now that Eowyn just got stocked up in her play kitchen and baby-doll department, what else would she want?!! Our doll stroller is pretty broken these days...as is our old doll highchair.  And I bet we could use a tea set.  Ok, I can probably make something happen!  

I better wrap this post up--no hubby to get the kids moving this morning!

 Have a great week!  (I hope to be back to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!)

No comments:

Post a Comment