"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Oratory revisited


Auntie Leila was explaining again (she did in her book, and she just reminded me on her blog) about the notion of arranging things in an octagonal formation.
She writes:
"David Clayton explains, “The octagon represents the ‘eighth day’ of Creation, by which Christ instituted the new order.”  

Hold that thought.  Here is where I am at:

I had to remove the table.  It was too wide for the space which is on a wall between two doors (you can see part of one door and part of the molding of the other below).

 I would like to find a very narrow console table to place statues and candles on, but for now, we just have our kneeler, which doesn't impede the flow of traffic as much as the table did.
 Hello--I have a visitor (this is Violet, more on her later), and I am happy to include this photo because it reveals one of several large stains (not from the dog) that have surfaced on the carpeting in this room.  I am happy to tell you this because I am hoping to re-carpet this room before too long,  Then I can show you how nice it is when it is done and you'll know that it was indeed quite needed.  So, probably within two years you can expect me to get around to this project.  Just to give you a realistic time frame.

Big digression.  Back to the oratory.

Well, the first thing to change was our crucifix:



We received this one from my Mother-in Law who had it blessed by our favorite priest, Fr. Chacon.
I love that it is a Saint Benedict cross, replete with exorcism powers.  I also think the corpus is quite beautiful.  This cross was considerably shorter than our old one, so there was some space that needed filling.  I was happy to fill in with a few of our favorite patrons:




St. Pio is up there too…
And I have a few more to add, but I was elated when I discovered that I was *near* to creating a nice octagonal shape with the collage.

Anyway, that's a glimpse of my little work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment