"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Martinmas, 2014

Last year I was introduced to the tradition of celebrating the Feast of St. Martin with a lantern procession.  Celebrating the saint who brought the Light of Christ to the darkness of Pagan Rome, the saint who gave warmth to the beggar by sharing his cloak, we light lanterns and go out into the cold ourselves, shining our lights and fighting back the darkness that has encroached with the turning of the season.

This is us last year, making our way around our home, singing…not sure what the neighbors may have thought.

This year my sister and I were inspired by Auntie Leila to expand our celebration beyond our families.  We hatched a wild and crazy plot and called our pastor!  Imagine me trying to explain Martinmas, requesting the use of the hall for a light supper, and wondering if he would very much mind leading a procession?  Because our pastor is wonderful, he did not mind, so we got busy!
This is my kitchen table, under a wild mass of tissue, Ball jars, and Mod Podge! The best part was that my kids, even my boys, remembered the lanterns from last year and dove right into making theirs. I love that!
Now I have to track down my sister, because as usual, I forgot my camera for the actual event. (Yes, I'm hopeless).


My sister made two large pots of clam chowder, muffins and delicious spice cake.  I brought ham and rolls.  Our friend brought a fruit and veggie platter and candy for the children (another nice opportunity to repurpose trick-or-treat loot).



Father joined us for supper, led us in prayer and procession out into the frigid night.  We prayed at a Mary shrine outside of the church, and then we just so happened to be lucky enough to land our celebration on the usual night for perpetual adoration, so Father had us all process into church and leave our lanterns burning before Our Lord in the Eucharist.  We received benediction, and we processed out.

We could not have been more blessed.

St. Martin, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment