"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

A New Friend

I am not sure if I mentioned that our sweet golden retriever passed away last February.  She was an angel of a golden, actually an English Creme, white, golden retriever.  Unfortunately, such a fancy specimen was not of hardy "mutt" stock, and she got juvenile lymphoma at just 3 years old.  We were very sad (I still am!) to lose her.  But there was also a sort of relief after having gone through really huge efforts to get her healthy (before we knew it was cancer).  It had been hard work, and stressful.  So for a while, we didn't mind not having a dog.  But, for better or for worse, I am a dog person.  Somehow dogs just make me happy.  I like having them in the house as an extra set of eyes and ears, especially when I'm alone and at night.  I like walking dogs.  I enjoy watching them.  

Long story short, it was time to try again.  We were through with fancy breeders who charged too much and couldn't guarantee health.  We decided to look for a dog from the pound who would be some crazy mix of who knows what with a sweet disposition and a long life expectancy.  We found Violet! 



The humane society guessed that she might be part border collie and part welsh corgi.  She has a long body and short legs.  She actually looks a little Pekinese!  Her tail is long and curls up over her back, and flops in the air as she prances along.  She does not have the energy of a border collie, but she is smart and eager to please.  Can you tell I'm pretty much crazy about her?

So, Violet is our new addition.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love the blog updates! Your dog is cute. Love the leaf project! It looks awesome in the window. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete