"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Or not. (PPD Day 3)

Or, you just don't do all of those great things I suggested. Fine. Because some days taking care of yourself means taking off the pressure of trying to take care of yourself.  I'd still suggest you try to drink more water, just because it really helps you feel better and it's one of the easier "chores".  Did I mention fish oils?  They are supposed to be so helpful with moods, and if you are good at taking supplements, do it!  I'm bad at it. I fall into the "I can't be bothered with all of those bottles" category of laziness that follows close on the heals of the "wash my face?" category.  But today is for the "skip it" days that can be so necessary as we seek to regain equilibrium and peace of heart.  It's the genius of a dieter's cheat day.  If you go ahead and have a brownie or three, you might just have the strength to hit it hard again the next day.  We're human, we're weak, and sometimes the very best thing is to present ourselves before God exactly as we are.  We need to love ourselves in our weakness; God does.  Don't let it get you down if you're homemaking efforts have dissolved into sloppy mess all around your kitchen sink and onto the floor.  Don't even get on a scale if you've been trying to lose weight and just dove into the kids halloween candy stash the day before.  Forget it! Today is a day to draw inward, not in depressed agony, but in holy prayer.  Find your favorite chair or corner of the couch. Light a candle. Find a quiet hour. And for just five minutes, breathe in the Holy Spirit.  Regain joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment