"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Looking for Peace, Day 9

I think that sometimes we get caught up in our own minds.  I notice this with myself when I am at a playdate with a group of moms.  We all sort of verbally "emote"  and it just feels so good!  You know, talking as fast as possible between interrupting children and running them to the public restrooms, we tell each other all of those things that wear on a mother's heart.  From nutrition to mother-in-law drama (oh, did I not mention that no one is EVER allowed to start a "trump this" mother-in-law dish session? It's never a good thing.) we vent, and then our friends swoop in with consolation and sympathy, understanding and advice.  I think that women need this.  But then, we have to stop.  We cannot sustain the emotional drain of a constant purge session.  And let me tell you right now what any wife of over 3 months must already know: no husband can tolerate it either!

What we are looking for at the end of our ranting, ultimately, is peace.  No one can really bring peace to our hearts because only God can bring us that gift.  We need to turn to Him in our struggles and offer our sufferings to Him, accepting His consolation if He deigns to send it.  I know that I personally start running away from what I know I really need to do to find peace.  I distract myself with reading blogs, shopping online, or calling a sister on the phone.  What I really need to do is sit still and let God send His Spirit. I need to be still so that I can know Him.  I need to listen for Him in the Whisper, because we know he is not in the whirlwind we stir up in running around looking for something else to fill our longing hearts.  I try to remind myself of the famous words of St. Augustine:  "You have made me, O God, to live forever in Your love, and my heart will not rest, until it rests in Thee."

I think when we're struggling it can be helpful to assess how much running we are doing.  It has been necessary for me to say no to activities when my soul needs tending to.  It has also been necessary for me to stop talking about my worries and bring them to the Lord.  That's when I really notice changes for the good.  Go figure.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment