"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Birth Story, Part I

I think the reason I needed such a "prep" to this story (see previous post) is because, like Ana, I dilate early, I dilate a lot, and I don't go into labor.  Another way of saying it is that I'm in labor for a month.   So, my story takes time to unfold (but is a fast ender).

This time I also had had a "false alarm".  I didn't blog about it (did I?) because I was totally discouraged, and of course, you kinda feel dumb.  But here's the thing--go read my #7's birth story--I've delivered at home, unattended because I had a baby so fast my midwife couldn't get here.  Fast, as in, within an hour of realizing I was really in labor.

It puts pressure on a girl.  I lay awake at night just wondering if that twinge, that hot flash, that contraction was labor.

Well, now you know it never was.  Not Saturday night when I was counting contractions 3 minutes apart for an hour before they quit and I went to bed.  And not that Sunday, either, when my sweet friend said I should try a pedicure (apparently, the pressure points on your feet are hit during a pedi, so it can really trip labor).

I was at my wits end, entirely in His Hands, and ready to call the midwife for an induction on Monday morning...except that was the 4th of July, and a holiday, so I'd have to wait until Tuesday...

except that I had begged and begged Our Lord, our Mother of Mercy, St. Maria Goretti  "Little Saint of Great Mercy", Alessandro her assassin, and then St. Anna, for mercy: please.  Please!  And I had a lot of family and friends praying for me too.

So the labor story is really short and sweet.

12:28 am July 4th, I am woken from sleep with a "popping" sensation--I caught my breath: "Could it be?"  "Oh please, Lord, yes! Please!"

I stood up--the tell-tale "leak" turned more "gush" as I tried to make my way to the bathroom.  I called breathlessly to my sleeping husband, "my water broke!"  I kept saying "oh yes, oh thank you Jesus! Thank you!"  I, cradle Catholic, made all of my born again friends proud in that moment.  I was all praise and worship!

My husband called the midwife.  I got myself as dry as possible and we hopped into the van!



No comments:

Post a Comment