"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

School Plans 2015-2016

[I have decided to break this post into more than one post...because it sort of became...too long].

Part 1: the dilemma


Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” 


                                                                            ― L.M. Montgomery
(I am applying this quote to the new school year.)

I mentioned before that I've been working on my homeschooling plans for the next school year.  For me, "working on plans" is much less sitting down with an excel spreadsheet and much more waiting; thinking, praying, and just waiting for something to strike me (like inspiration from the Holy Spirit).



July is slipping through my fingers and the sales offered by the homeschooling curriculum sites are coming and going fast enough to make my head spin.  All kinds of thoughts have been percolating in my brain and it is time for me to get concrete.

Last night I started digging.



I turned to things that I remembered having read once.  I turned to old friends, old sources of wisdom and inspiration to try to get my juices flowing.  I came upon this over at In the Heart of my Home
which begins with this:

Late last summer, as I was gathering my thoughts on curriculum and trying to plan the year, I hit a wall. Actually, I was probably already flat up against the wall, but the time of year compelled me to do what I'd always done, so I pressed on. But I didn't want to plan. And I wasn't enthused about all the things that had previously sparked so much creative energy. 

I read on.  (from "Could it be a storybook year?")

For over twenty years, I have been inspired by the art and the literature of picture books. I've thrown my whole heart into creating with books, whether it was bulletin boards in a classroom or fullblown unit studies for many ages. Literature-based learning was where I invested most of my creative energy. Some people love their cameras, some their paints, others their yarn or fabric. For me, it was always those beautiful books and the endless possiblities of things we could do with them.


That got me thinking about storybooks and then about literature in general.  If we needed beautiful books, I needed to track down good recommendations.  I started with Elizabeth Foss' Serendipity lists here and then looked at Ambleside's lists here.

Here's a peek at Ambleside's list for K-1 (just to get your creative juices flowing).  If you look for these on Amazon, you can probably find 10 of them for sale for $0.01 each.  I'm not sure what condition these will arrive in, but I'll let you know.  I ordered a bunch.

Marcia Brown
Ruth Brown
Jeff Brumbeau
Eve Bunting
Eric Carle
Kay Chorao
Joyce Dunbar
Marie Hall Ets
Candace Fleming
Denise Fleming

Mem Fox
Don Freeman
Nancy Price Graff
John Graham
Hardie Gramatky
Donald Hall
M.C. Hellendorfer
James Herriot
Angela Hunt
Karla Kuskin
Munroe Leaf
Jonathan London
Page McBrier
Edna Miller






A. A. Milne



Martha Sanders
Brinton Turkel
Susan Wojciechowski
Stone Soup
The Picnic
The Quilt Maker’s Gift
Flower Garden
House for Hermit Crab
Cathedral Mouse
Ten Little Mice
In the Forest
Gabriella’s Song
In the Small, Small Pond
In the Tall, Tall Grass
Time for Bed
A Rainbow of My Own
In the Hush of the Evening
I Love You, Mouse
Little Toot
Oxcart Man
Gather Up, Gather In
James Herriot’s Treasury for Children
The Tale of the Three Trees
James and the Rain
The Story of Ferdinand
Red Wolf Country
Beatrice’s Goat
Jumping Bean
Mousekin’s Christmas Eve
Mousekin’s Frosty Friend
Mousekin’s Golden House
Mousekin’s Thanksgiving
Mousekin’s Woodland Sleepers
Patches Finds a New Home
Now We Are Six
The House at Pooh Corner*
When We Were Very Young
Winnie-the-Pooh*
Alexander and the Magic Mouse
Thy Friend, Obadiah
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey


My brain being the unsystematic boom-and-bust type of brain it is, immediately began expanding this notion upward to my older grade-school aged children who would need more than picture books (even if I know they'll read (or re-read) those too!)

I revisited this list for children's books and then this post for the older children over at the beautiful blog Wildflowers and Marbles.  I might have made a few more purchases.

[A funny aside: the other night I mentioned to my husband that I had begun planning for the new school year and buying a few things on Amazon.  "Yes," he said, "I noticed the cart on Amazon had fifty things in it!"  heh heh...just browsing...]

I'm going to break here to give you a chance to follow some of those links and get your ideas going too.  In my next post I'll add the second set of thoughts that went into my schoolyear planning.

***I'm adding something because I forgot: Run over to Amongst Lovely Things and read a whole bunch on forming your children's moral imagination! (lots of book recommendations there!)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I can't handle this right now! I'm just not ready for school yet. But I guess it's almost August so I better face reality. School is just around the corner!! Great lists though. Eventually I'll force myself to look through them more closely. Maybe in August?!

    ReplyDelete