"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Martinmas - Welcome Winter!

 I am grateful for the sunshine falling on the last of the fall leaves.  I am thankful for sunny days when my children can dress warmly and go outside to play.  We've had our first snowfall, and our first wintery mix storm systems with wind and grey and wet...those long dark days that tend to make a mother call a realtor and look for homes in Florida.  I have had moments where I've dreaded what the next 6 months will bring to the Northern Midwest we call home.  

But I've also tried to embrace the coming chill.  To create warmth and light when there is none to be found in nature.  And I discovered the tradition of Martinmas.  A week ago last Monday was the feast of St. Martin of Tours.  St. Martin was a Roman soldier who spread the light of Christianity to the dark pagan world of the Roman Empire.  One of his symbols is a ball of fire.  So, over the centuries, his feast day was celebrated by lantern parades.  Fire in the darkness, with song and celebration.

All lit up and ready to march!

On procession

We don't live in medieval Europe, so our procession was small, but we did sing and we did celebrate with hot chocolate after circling our home a few times.

We remembered St. Martin of Tours, giving half of his red cloak to a naked beggar, discovering in a dream that the beggar was Christ.

We didn't mind the cold or the dark.

We had light and warmth and joy of our own to bring...as we welcomed the coming season.
on our mantle

modge podge, tissue paper, more modge podge: that's IT! So easy, so beautiful.  Do this for candlemas if you didn't get to it for Martinmas. You could make these for Christmas or Easter.  I loved this project!!

I have to give credit to Jessica at Shower of Roses for the tutorial...you can see her beautiful feast day celebrations there!


No comments:

Post a Comment