"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I stole this quote

You can go to Amongst Lovely Things to see the beautiful photos posted with this beautiful quote.  Yes, it's probably hitting me more at just this moment...you know, what with contractions and all.  I'm tucking this one away for encouragement.

"Now a child is the very sign and sacrament of personal freedom. He is a fresh free will added to the wills of the world; he is something that his parents have freely chosen to produce and ... freely agree to protect. They can feel that any amusement he gives (which is often considerable) really comes from him and from them, and from nobody else.

 He has been born without the intervention of any master or lord. He is a creation and a contribution; he is their own creative contribution to creation.
He is also a much more beautiful, wonderful, amusing and astonishing thing than any of the stale stories or ... tunes turned out by the machines ... People who prefer the mechanical pleasures to such a miracle are jaded and enslaved. They are preferring the very dregs of life to the first fountains of life... It is they who are hugging the chains of their old slavery; it is the child who is ready for the new world."

-G.K. Chesterton


PS That "contractions" comment was not some sort of hint.  I get these for a long time before labor.  Or you could say I'm in labor for weeks. Whichever makes you feel happy...not sure which way I prefer to think about it...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment