"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Birthday for Gimli!

Thirteen years ago, on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, I gave birth to my third child.

We had scheduled an induction and planned my first home birth.  I had heard rumors that having a water birth helped with pain management, and I was very interested in pain management!

You know what?  It worked!  I am not sure if it was just one of those "easy" births, or if the Blessed Mother sent me special graces and blessing on her great Feast Day, but Gimli's birth was...blessed.

I was so happy after I had him.  I felt healed from two very unsatisfying birth experienced with my first two.  And Gimli happened to be a very beautiful baby, who smiled as soon as he was born.  He was an easy baby, and has been a very happy child ever since.

Now I guess he's a happy young teen!   But he has always been a sweet, joyful son, who gives his mom hugs and smiles with the deepest dimples!


I love watching Gimli play sports.  Now, of course, it's basketball season.


I think my favorite thing about watching Gimli play is that he looks up into the stands and gives me "looks"--either smiles, if things are going well, or glares, if he's mad about something.


The thing is, he likes it that I'm there (and the rest of his family too, of course).  Gimli loves his family, and I love that about him.


He's always up for a game, always up for joking.  He makes life sparkle on average days.



What more could a mother ask for?  Happy Birthday Gimli!

No comments:

Post a Comment