"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Mid-July

Photo Credit: Rosie!

Outside my window: my garden!! It's growing and the kids are super excited to see that there are little tomatoes starting to come.  My lettuce was a bust, so I'm going to have to research and try again another year.  Zucchini are always a sure thing!  The eggplant looks robust, but I'm unsure about the peppers...  Whatever happens, I'm just calling this "my first year" and chalking the rest up to lessons learned!

I am thinking: about the upcoming school year.  I know, I know, it kills me too.  I am LOVING summer!  I am forcing myself to sit long hours pool-side and even signed the kids up for a second round of lessons.  Rosie has a new goal: to jump off of the diving board.  But even at that, the supplies are pouring into the stores, and those pencils and markers and notebooks are calling to me.  My main goal this year is to focus on getting my youngest students reading, or close to it!  Sight words for my pre-K Eowyn, simple readers for my 5-K Legolas, and lots and lots for Rosie, who is just on the verge of proficiency.

On that note: A shoutout to the "Nate the Great" series of early readers, and also the "Great Mouse Detective" series.  Haven't read them all yet, but excited to, and so are my middles.  I LOVE summer reading!

(Which reminds me to add) Grateful:  Our Galadriel tested at a 2nd grade reading level last summer.  She was entering 4th grade. After 30 weeks of vision therapy, she tested at a 5th grade reading level.  This June she read "Little Women" and now she's reading "The Secret Garden", with a couple other's waiting on her shelf to be read next.   That's not bragging, it's gratitude.  Hope for those who have struggling readers--it really can happen!!

Plans for the week: baseball season just ended with the championship games on Sunday.  All our boys' teams came in second place.  Sunday was lots of time outside watching baseball and a little sunburn for me.



Legolas is in speech therapy this summer.  He is working hard.  I honestly love the time alone with him as he works on his /s/ blends!  What a kid he is!


I'm out of time as usual, but I'll go ahead and post this or I won't get anything up at all!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment