"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Road Trip Daybook


Outside my window:  Well, not the above Rocky Mountains...but they do loom in the distance.
I'm in the High Desert, and...it's dry!  I think a humidifier would be a good idea, especially at night!
During the day it's been sunny, which I do not take for granted ever...but I also have allergies here that I do not get in the northern midwest.  I'm trying to focus on the plusses.


Celebrating the Liturgical Year: Happy St. Patrick's Day!! My husband has said that our family should hold off to celebrate St. Joseph's Solemnity on Saturday...meaning, no sugar today for those who are giving up such things for Lent.  We'll see if my poor husband doesn't get overruled by his wife...we both have Irish roots and I intend to celebrate.  It may just be corned beef, cabbage, and soda bread this year.  All I'd like to add is a Shamrock Shake from McDonalds!:)


True Confessions: The road trip was a blessed journey.  I think there were so many prayers said for us that the Blessed Mother truly paved our way with perfect weather, sunshine, and clear roads.  We traveled 6 hours on Day 1, twelve on Day 2, and 8 hours for the final day.  Day 2 was the best.  We flew!  And stopped to walk Reina and eat lunch outside of a Wendy's or hit a gas station.  Each night we were totally exhausted, but ready to hit the road again the next morning.


Learning Lessons in:  Letting go.  You know how when you are sick/have a baby/are unable to "keep house" how good it feels to get back into the swing of things?  Well, it's sort of like that when I visit my in-laws.  I try to remember to be thankful for the break from cooking/cleaning/housework...but it's also a little weird having your house/home "taken" from you for an extended period.  I suppose most people are only lucky enough to get away for a weekend or ten days at best.  Most people probably will never have to be away for over a month at a time.  Again, I try to see this as the blessing it is (mostly, because my children get to develop such close relationships with their family on this side of the country), but there is something, for me, of an adjustment, and I would even say a sense of loss, as I learn to make a home in a home that isn't mine, for an extended-yet-temporary time.  Detachment.  I am sure this is very good for me.:)


not-so-much-at-home-Schooling:  We brought some workbooks.  Mostly Math.  So each afternoon we hit our math (and maybe a little spelling/English/Religion, depending on the child (Arwen brought more)).  There also has been a lot of water coloring at the kitchen table and chalk drawing outside.  I don't mind the looser schedule.  I really don't mind the Easter break coming soon!  It hasn't been hard, but there is always the knowing that you have to "get to it" each day, and I think we all enjoy our breaks when they come!  I'm excited about some new books I ordered, under the pretext of Easter, but really just to have more literature around for our visit, and hopefully for the ride home as well (depends on how fast they are read).

That's my update for now--I'll be back with more glorious pictures of where I'm at (not just through my car window en route)...just as soon as my allergies allow me to leave the indoors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment