"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

February Blues

I began blogging (again) a couple of years back when I encountered a "30 Day Challenge" (was it 31 days?) to write on the same topic for that many days.

Amazingly, I thought it would be a good idea to address my challenges with postpartum depression.  I think I might have lasted a week.  It wasn't the most cheerful start to a blog.  But the posts are still up in the archives if you wanna track 'em down.

Luckily, I'm not postpartum at the moment.  I do know that depression can strike during pregnancy is a rather high percentage of women.  But, thankfully again, I'm not suffering at this precise moment.

I think it's really hard to write about.  I think it's harder to admit that it's something you struggle with.  Somehow there's a sense of shame that seems to be attendant to admitting emotional struggles.  And I think that those who have not had to suffer these issues have a really hard time compassionating those who do.

I also know that depression tends to come seasonally.   Solstaces can be hard my chiropractor tells me.   The darkening days of fall, and, I would argue, that lengthy stretch of winter that is post-holiday-cheer and not really anywhere near Spring.

I have a simple strategy that does not stop the emotions from coming (I'm not sure we are capable of that).  But to help cope when the waves surge (and they do ebb and flow).

I think the best advice I have is to try to find a balance between pampering yourself and pushing yourself.

Vigorous exercise gets endorphins a-flowing, and it does lift the spirits.  The more strenuous the exercise the more beneficial.  But of course, if you feel like curling up and dying…maybe you don't start with that.

Maybe you start by creating a little corner of peace.

Light a candle near a cozy armchair.  For me, silence is healing.  If you are a stay-at-home mom, the shouts and cries and whines of many children can be painful to frayed nerves (cue Mrs. Bennet).

Read the Bible, write in a journal, or simply sip tea slowly.

Then, maybe, dust a mantle or clear off one surface that has built up clutter.   If this doesn't apply to your life, great, but I think all of the mess of being at home with lots of children really grates upon ones sense of calm.  A quick pick-up and maybe a vacuum.

Simple, concrete steps towards "being a good mom"…making something simple for dinner, but serving it with peace and spending that time of loving presence to your family.  Even if you retire to the couch after you eat.  But maybe you rally for a quick storybook to the little ones before bedtime.

Just small, simple steps.  With frequent rests.

Little treats: tea with honey (I'd really recommend avoiding coffee and chocolate if depression is bad, but I would always make an exception for coffee in the morning), a nap, flowers from the grocery store.

And then, when you can, a session of exercise.

Finally, if you can find a project of some sort: Spring cleaning, quilting, scrapbooking.  Something that you can chip away at a little each day, but something that you enjoy and look forward to each day.  It helps you want to get out of bed in the morning, you know?

Until the season passes, and it's not that hard.

Just some coping strategies that have helped me.

[And I'm no doctor, so I'm excluding clinical cases that require medical attention.  There's my disclaimer:).]


No comments:

Post a Comment