"When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat. Thenceforward we lived only for them; they made all our happiness and we would never have found it save in them. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for me, my children were my great compensation, so that I wished to have many in order to bring them up for Heaven" -- Saint Zelie Martin, mother of St. Therese of Lisieux, canonized October 18, 2015 along with her husband St. Louis Martin.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Candy before Lent

Yesterday our homeschool group met in a big room beneath our local library to celebrate St. Valentine's day early--so we could eat candy without worrying about breaking Lenten resolutions!  (Lent starts on February 10th this year, so the 14th is a hard day for a Valentine celebration).
Score!!  I'm a total homeschool mom nerd, but I get a HUGE thrill out of a new stash of pencils!  Thank you Valentine take-home treat bags!! (times 8 kids)
I took the opportunity to lead the kids through the free Pro-life lesson plan Jessica posted about in January.  I didn't own Eric Carle's "The Grouchy Ladybug", so my husband obliged me and picked it up just for this occasion.


I embellished with the extra "ladybug" books I found on buy shelves.  

After learning about the legend of how the ladybug got it's name, and talking about praying to Our Lady to protect unborn babies, we headed off to do some ladybug crafts!  (Thank you Michael's craft store!)

These were a little tricky for our youngest crafters, but with a little help they did great!  Decorating them with stickers was easy!  Plus, the heart stickers tied in the Valentine's Day theme in perfectly! yay!


(bookmarks)
 We finished up by reading about St. Valentine.  Last year one of the moms read this one:


 So I skipped it this year and read this one instead:


We came home to eat our candy and read our Valentine's!


Bilbo told me that one of the Valentine's he received (a Disney princess one) said "You're a snow queen, Valentine!"…I told him that a) the little girl who gave it to him cannot read yet and b) people don't really read the Valentines as they fill out the names.  Haha!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Bilbo! I'm guessing that may have come from one of my little snow queens...and you are right, she did NOT read them before filling them out. :)

    Thanks so much for the fun Valentine party. You did a great job! My kids said that they had a really good time!

    ReplyDelete